Travel and Visa Information
International travel to meetings in the U.S.
We advise anyone who may need a visa to attend the TOUGH Symposium and/or Training Courses to apply early. Visa applicants should apply at least 3 months in advance of the meeting. Security-related policies have greatly increased the processing time for visa applications. U.S. consular officers now usually interview applicants as part of the application process.
If you need a letter of invitation, e-mail Helen Prieto, [email protected] to make your request.
The most convenient airports to Berkeley are the San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and Oakland International Airport (OAK). The Oakland Airport is closer to Berkeley and both airports offer an economical connection to Berkeley via the local train system, Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), which stops at downtown Berkeley.
LBNL On-site/Guest parking will not available (unless you are staying on-site at the Berkeley Lab Guest House). Alternative modes of transportation are:
- Public Transportation (such as BART, LBNL Shuttle)
- Taxi or other ride-sharing options (with pick up/drop off services, such as UBER, LYFT, etc)
- Carpooling with an LBNL employee
Here is a list of resources for more information:
- Click here for Transportation from SFO or OAK to LBNL
- Maps and Directions to the Lab
- BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit)
- Bay Area Transit Info (511.org)
- LBNL Visitor Information
- Click here for Next Bus – GPS based arrival times
- Click here for information on the LBNL Shuttle Buses
- LBNL Shuttle Bus Routes (In addition to the regularly scheduled Shuttle Services, there will be an additional/dedicated shuttle for pick up/drop off for Symposium attendees. More information on shuttle stops and schedule will be coming soon.)