Representing the Earth and Environmental Sciences Area
In 2015, the Earth and Environmental Sciences Area (EESA), encompassing the Climate and Ecosystem Sciences Division (CESD) and the Energy Geosciences Division (EGD), replaced the former Earth Sciences Division. Read more… This page provides guidance on using these new identities.
Sharing EESA’s scientific work with the community, either through publications, presentations, on-line presence, media appearances, etc., is a critical contribution for researchers. When EESA scientists communicate to the public, they should keep in mind that they also represent EESA, the Divisions therein, and Berkeley Lab. Use these style guidelines and the EESA Creative Toolkit to communicate clearly, and provide consistent identity. These also simplify the tasks of preparing communications of varying forms.
- Use consistent acronyms for our identities.
- Define all acronyms when first used in narrative.
- When adding Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory’s identity, use—Ernest Orlando Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, or the short form, Berkeley Lab.
Acronyms and short forms
These are all accepted uses of acronyms and short forms:
- Berkeley Lab’s Earth and Environmental Sciences Area (EESA)
- Earth and Environmental Sciences Area (EESA) at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Climate and Ecosystem Science Division (CESD)
- Energy Geosciences Division (EGD)
Using “Area” or “Division” is acceptable in a narrative, especially when it increases readability.
When it is time to credit the work, EESA authors and content creators should refer to the acknowledgments and credit lines web page. Always acknowledge work with the proper protocol. Coordinate with your fellow co-authors and research collaborators to make sure their acknowledgments are included. Refer to the Berkeley Lab Regulations and Procedures Manual—RPM, Section 5.02, Policy for Scientific and Technical Publications, C,1, Credit Line for details.
Our Creative Toolkit
Go to the EESA Creative Toolkit to download EESA, CESD and EGD icons, type logos, presentation and poster templates, and several useful photos.