Integrated experimental, theoretical and numerical research is being performed to tackle critical challenges associated with adaptive control of subsurface fractures and flow.
Cross-institutional teams are performing coordinated RD&D on key technical topics, including wellbore integrity, subsurface stress, permeability manipulation, and subsurface signals.
• Increase U.S. electrical production from geothermal reservoirs
• Increase U.S. unconventional oil and natural gas
Protect the Environment
• President’s Climate Action Plan: Safely store CO2 to meet GHG emissions reduction targets
• Safe storage/disposal of nuclear waste
• Reduced risk of induced seismicity
• Protect drinking water resources
Economical and Social Benefits
• Retain U.S. subsurface leadership
• Increase revenues to Federal, State, and local governments
• Increased public confidence in subsurface energy sector
Would you like to be on the SubTER E-Mail List? Fill out this Google Form